Monday, January 23, 2012

Green Chile Chicken Casserole

I know I say that I LOVE most of my recipes but I really do love this one!  I post some things that I have only made once and some things that I have been making for years.  This one I have been making for almost two years. I found this recipe in Cooking Light magazine in April of 2010 and I've never looked back.  I make it almost monthly and we just adore it.  I've made it for bible study pot-lucks, when I've hosted book club at my house, and I've given it to friends who need a meal.  Its a keeper and a winner! I've changed up the original recipe a tad bit, click on the link for the original. I almost always prepare this early in the day and then stick in in the fridge (just make sure you cover it with cooking spray coated foil to keep the tortillas from drying out). I stick it in the oven about 30 minutes before we are ready to eat and it is perfect every time! This makes great leftovers too, I actually think it takes better the next day.

Green Chile Chicken Casserole
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine

1 1/3 cups fat free, sodium free chicken broth
1 cup canned chopped green chiles
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup fat-free sour cream
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free cream of chicken soup
1 garlic clove, minced
cooking spray
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas*
4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350. Combine the first 9 ingredients (chicken broth through garlic) in a saucepan, stirring with a whisk.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Layer 1 cup of soup mixture in a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Arrange 6 tortillas over the mixture then top with 2 cups chicken and 1/2 cup cheese.  Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

*The original recipe calls for 24 corn tortillas and layers everything 4 times instead of two.  I guess I'm lazy--I only layer twice.

Layer your soup in the bottom of your dish.

 Top with tortillas, chicken and cheese. Repeat.
 Top with remaining soup and then the rest of your cheese.
 Eat and enjoy!  Its not the most appealing looking dish but it sure tastes good!

No comments: